Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wrapping up

May has more or less ended, finishing out quite a series of eventful weekends. The Olympic Weightlifting meet was a fair success - I went 6 for 6 on my lifts and PRed both my lifts - Snatch at 87kg and C&J at 107kg. Both of these went up quick and easy, bringing up a few questions about my training program: I already knew that my Bulgarian-esque training was leading me into overreaching, but the fact that a week off (before the meet) lead to very quick and strong gains leads me to wonder if perhaps there shouldn't have been longer breaks during the training cycle as well. On the one hand, one could argue that because I went into steep supercompensation that went clear into the meet I was guaranteed a successful competition, but on the other hand one could also argue that if I had included longer rest periods I might have been able to hit a "mini-peak," hitting these PRs earlier in my cycle and thus opening the door to hitting higher PRs in the meet. In essence, the program I used only provided one peak at the very end - during the entire cycle my strength levels stayed level and I was unable to hit any new strength gains as far as the Olympic lifts were concerned - I did PR my back squat, front squat, and press.

I'll be taking time off to digest the pros and cons of my Bulgarian-style O-lifting program. In the meanwhile, I'll be doing an adjusted Starting Strength program and building running volume - running mainly on my days off, no more than two miles per session. Pulling power may also be a supplemental focus.

No comments: